Founded over 60 years ago as an independent, family-owned business, the Scarpelli Funeral Home, P.A. has established a tradition of providing personal and caring services to those who call upon them for assistance with funeral planning. This has been reflected in the various services they offer, their comfortable facilities and their professional staff.
Over the years, the funeral home has made extensive renovations and the traditional customs of funeral services have changed. However, through its growth, the Scarpelli Funeral Home, P.A. still provides the original, homelike atmosphere to the families they serve.
“In the early years, everything was handled in the family’s home,” said James Scarpelli, Sr. Over the years, families saw the value of a funeral home, rather than their personal home. The Scarpelli Funeral Home provided privacy, by having comfortable, individual parlors and the adequate space. It also cut down on the wear and tear of the families’ homes. In the 1950s, families would come to the funeral home early in the morning and stay until late at night. They would feel uncomfortable leaving the funeral home, because they might miss someone coming to provide their condolences. For the convenience of the families, specific visiting hours were instituted. By providing set calling hours, families were able to leave the funeral home for a few hours. Today funeral options are varied, and it is the Scarpelli Funeral Home’s commitment to offer a wide range of services to meet the specific needs and wishes of individual families.
In 1947, Mr. James F. Scarpelli, Sr. purchased the former home and medical office of the late Dr. and Mrs. Lloyd Lanich at 108 Virginia Avenue, Cumberland, Maryland. He set up residence in the upstairs apartment. The Scarpelli Funeral Home, P.A. was founded in April, 1948 at its present location at 108 Virginia Avenue, Cumberland by James F. Scarpelli, Sr. In 1951, James F. Scarpelli, Sr. married Margaret “Peg” McMahon and together they continued to build the business. Peg was very dedicated to the funeral home and played an active part in its operation until her death in January, 1988. In 1978, James F. Scarpelli, Jr. joined the firm, followed by his brother, Nicholas J. Scarpelli in 1980. In 1982, James, Sr. retired. The Scarpelli Funeral Home, P.A. opened a second branch facility in July, 1987 at 15205 McMullen Highway, Cresaptown. To further meet the needs of families, they constructed a crematory at their Cresaptown location in 1999. In 2010, the third generation joined the family business with the addition of Matthew Scarpelli. Today, the full-service funeral home employees twenty-two people, of which eight are licensed, funeral directors. James, Jr. and Nick, along with their staff, continue to preserve the quality of a family-run funeral home. Their focus is on providing loyal, dedicated and personalized services to the community.